- A two-semester professional experience for student journalists of color enrolled in the University of New Mexico or New Mexico State University.
New Mexico in Depth (NMID) is a digital-first journalism organization focused on public policy, social welfare, and the influence of money in politics. Our academic fellowship for students of color reflects NMID’s desire to increase the diversity of the professional journalism field in New Mexico and beyond.
Benefits of the fellowship:
- $3,000 per semester ($6,000 total, paid in monthly installments).
- Experience within a professional news organization.
- Publication on nmindepth.com and potentially by our media partners.
- One-year membership in a professional organization.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Enthusiasm and passion for journalism in the public interest.
- Enrollment in 300 or 400 level courses in the multimedia journalism major at UNM or graduated with a major in the program in the last two years.
- Diligent work with NMID staff to produce publishable multi-media work, inclusive of skills in audio, video, data and infographics, or the written word.
- Participation on a team covering the New Mexico legislative session in early 2020, with some travel to Santa Fe required.
How to Apply:
Send your resume, a writing sample or link to audio/video sample, and a brief cover letter describing your interest in the fellowship, and documentation of your C&J enrollment to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: April 30 or until position is filled. Our goal is to fill the position with a start date the first week of 2019 Fall Semester.