New Mexico In Depth, a journalistic nonprofit committed to quality journalism, is seeking a data journalist to lead a team that builds and analyzes databases of information including, but not limited to, state campaign finance and lobbying records for our organization’s Money In Politics project. The data journalist also will create portals to make these databases publicly available.
Our ideal candidate:
- Knows how to sniff out data at all levels of government and through other sources, such as nonprofit and corporate records.
- Does not give up when government agencies or other sources deny access to data that open records laws say is public.
- Is meticulous and tenacious about cleaning data and accuracy.
- Is comfortable building databases through “scraping” methods, and can manage contractors we will hire to input data manually and auditors who will check that inputting.
- Is comfortable analyzing data for story ideas and trends and working with journalists to bring stories to publication.
- And, above all, has a keen understanding of what data can tell you and what it cannot.
- Strong ability with Excel spreadsheets and cleaning methods.
- Mastery of basic analysis, including Excel spreadsheets and relational databases. Fluency in structured query language (SQL) is essential.
- Knack for finding story ideas and trends within the data.
- Enthusiasm and a penchant for acquiring new skills.
- Collaborative and works well with a team.
While we prefer candidates with journalism experience, we’re open to all comers:
- Experienced reporters with data-journalism experience
Things to know:
The position is one work year equivalent and is a contract position ($40,000-$50,000, commensurate with experience) with the potential for an extension beyond one-year if we are successful in obtaining additional funding. Preference will be given to candidates who can move to and/or live in New Mexico, but working remotely is a possibility.
Interested candidates should submit a résumé, three references and examples of their experience working with data, preferably in the journalistic field, to [email protected]. Applications are due by July 25.
NMID is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.